Wednesday 27 February 2008

Hare? What Hare?


The strongest earthquake to hit Great Britain in 24 years occurred just before 0100 am this morning - 5.2 on the, Richter scale. Its epicentre was just outside outside Market Rasen, which is about 15-20 miles from the RectoryReserve. We woke just beforehand - just in time to witness the terrifying shuddering and rumbling which continued for just long enough (10 secs) for us to realise that it had to be a quake. "In Lincolnshire????" we muttered in our befuddled middle-of-the-night voices. Must be dreaming. And promptly fell asleep again. None of the animals - house or yard - appeared to notice anything. Certainly everything was as normal this morning. No fallen masonry, tiles or chimney pots; no terrified ponies, pigs or poultry; just business as usual. We were luckier than many.
One chap who had a particularly sound night's sleep was our would-be gundog. He had his 'lesson' yesterday. Our progress report to Rory was - on the plus side, his 'left', 'right' and 'back' retrieve training was going very well but, on the minus side, I was not convinced that I had managed to cure his tendency to hooley off in pursuit of a scent or, indeed, a hare (or rabbit).
On the strength of that, therefore, off we went to a distant farm to 'hunt' him around the ditches and hedgerows surrounding some of the fields. On the way there, I mentioned to our Trainer that I might not be keeping Gunner close enough to me when hunting him so guidance would be appreciated. Being a novice, I'm anxious not to over-control in case I dampen his enthusiasm but I suspect that's, why we've developed the current 'chasing' problem.
Anway; decanted dog and people at said farm and set off along the field edges. I'm instructed to keep would-be gundog within about 4-5 yards either side or ahead of me; he shows remarkable aptitude to listen to my commands and signals each time he's beyond that limit. Our illustrious trainer remarks after a while that "He's developing quite a style"; big compliment! Continuing in the same vein I send Gunner in towards the ditch where he promptly flushes a pheasant --- and instantly sits when we whistle and holler 'sit' at him. So no chase there. Turn him and send him to hunt the other side. A little while later, we again come across a pheasant which he speedily marks and flushes; another holler and whistle and again he promptly sits. When he flushes for the third time, he sits promptly just to the whistle and looks at me as if to say "OK, got that; where's the next one?" "This is really very good" remarks Rory. By this time we're almost back at the car. I spot a hare crouching to my right; I tell Gunner to sit and stay. Which he does. He hasn't seen the hare. "OK" says Rory (admitting later that he was over confident because of Gunner's good behavious thus far) "We'll send him across to the scent and as soon as he picks it up and starts to follow you do whatever's necessary to stop him." "Right" says I, crossing my fingers and sending Gunner out.
He was on the scent within seconds and crikey did he pick it up and bolt with all the speed in his little legs - before either of us could blow our whistles he was across the ditch, oblivious to our hollering and cursing - not in the direction the hare had gone (ie where we were expecting him to go) but doubtless the one it had come from - and off across the fields like the wind. He can't half move when he wants!
Over the ensuing 10 minutes Rory got a very good picture of Gunner at his absolute worst: telling me to jump in the car and head him off at the road, Rory went off in pursuit, never letting him out of his sight, turning and following in whichever direction the errant dog ran. Eventually, worn out and worried out of his skin (the chase over he suddenly realised that he was in a strange land and the car had gone), he ran around for a while with his tail between his legs until he found the car. And Rory. And me. Telling me to give him the 'come back' whistle command, very firmly and to 'be angry' at the dog, Rory then told that same dog off in no uncertain terms. Gunner shook and cowered. I think he got the message.
We put him in the car and took him promptly back to the rabbit pens. Where the 'sit everytime you spot a rabbit' message was reinforced. After a few minutes I was told to let him off his lead and 'sit' him each time a rabbit ran. Well, Gunner had got the message so well by then he was afraid to move anywhere. "Rabbit? Was that a rabbit?" No way was he going after it.
In fact, I had to put him back on his lead before he would relax and walk alongside me!
So, our homework? We're to concentrate on finding rabbits and hares and ensuring that the dog never again chases either. I'm to encourage that by putting the fear of God into him each time he sees 'fur' until his reaction is "Fur? No way"
On this could depend his future as a gundog. Watch this space.

No comments: