Tuesday 20 May 2008

Gunner to Gundog... the continuing tale

Yet another fortnight gone by. And off we go for another lesson in 'How to be The BEST Gundog'. We meet Rory down at the farm where he's gone with several dogs for their training session. As we arrive he's just practising some water retrieves with a buzzy little black/grey cocker spaniel. I was impressed by the little chap's enthusiasm but, lesson finished, talking to Rory he explained that the dog was a bad example - enthusiastic, keen, fast and buzzy but only if he was doing what he wanted to do and if he couldn't do that he could be sly and stubborn.... "Not a good example".
So, talking of good examples, I signal Gunner to get out of the car and we start his session. It takes very few minutes before Rory exclaims: "This is a different dog!" We continue with various hunt, retrieve and memory tasks. Again Rory exclaims: "You said when I came over that you had three spaniels but I only met two. This must be the one you were hiding!"

The session continued in the same vein. "I can't believe it's the same dog" said Rory, yet again. "He's keen, enthusiastic and happy and doing everything you ask. I think we've turned the corner with him. Now we can move forward!".

I'm ecstatic. My dog's going to be a gundog>>>>>!!!! For once, Rory is smiling. The only mistakes we made all session were handler errors. For once, it's I who has to polish up on the homework. Gunner just has to continue onwards and upwards.... more water experience to build up his confidence and continue stretching his memory..... Easy peasy stuff.

Will this continue????

Well -- Gunner's been having a word with Mangel about it..... and Mangel thinks things can only get better.... Optimistic pig then?

No comments: