Monday 3 May 2010

Chuck's family






I kept referring to my 'duck-chick' so we decided to call him Chuck.
But on Wednesday I had to be away for much of the day so I didn't see him at all and the next day I didn't see him either.
Sadly I resigned myself to the idea that he'd "gone" and that was it.

What a surprise to open up the Poultry Palace on Friday morning and see Chuck happily running around amidst all the other birds.
Briefly.
Quick as a flash he disappeared back behind the straw bale to the nest where he'd hatched.
On Saturday morning when I opened up there he was again - but he wasn't alone this time.....trotting along with him were two ducklings and then a loudly-quacking duck gave the order and off they all went with their 'mummy' to the water tray outside!
Amazing! The ducklings and Chuck waddled out and about together - although Chuck couldn't get the point about wet feet and paddling so he gave that a miss!
And then it was back with Mum to the Poultry Palace for some food before all of them retreated to the nest again. I don't know which is more incredible. That the duck hatched a chick, or that she 'kept' him in the nest or that the ducklings and the chick are obviously of the opinion that they are family!
Needless to say, I can't help checking on them at frequent intervals; it's just as likely that Chuck is wandering around the Pountry Palace on his own as with his family but he's not running around after all the other ducks anymore. Now he's got his family his confusion has disappeared.
Isn't nature wonderful!!!

No comments: