Sunday 2 October 2011

Record breaking Lincolnshire Day

 It wasn't just any Farmer's Market Day yesterday. For a start it was Lincolnshire day and there were balloons and smiles everywhere.
Then there was the Town Crier  "Oy Yeh"-ing and proclaiming all over the place. Finally, adding an air of celebrity to the market was the BBC crew filming with Matt Baker all morning. Watch Countryfile on 16 October to see what they were getting up to.
And it was jolly darned hot. 14 degrees when I left home soon after dawn. 30 degrees in the middle of the day and 28.5 degrees here on the Wolds when I returned home.
Far too hot to be selling Pork Provisions, though sell we did - 60% more sausages than usual for a start.

I looked at a representative selection of our family energetically enjoying the sun and decided they had absolutely the right idea. So, G&T in hand, I went out on to the terrace and The Boss and I spent a very pleasant late afternoon hour admiring the view, putting the world to rights and storing up loads of Vitamin D for what we are being warned will be another long, hard winter.
A fitting close to Lincolnshire Day.
(Incidentally:It was also the first day of the Pheasant shooting season - no doubt it will be declared the hottest ever FD): for the first time I was pleased that The Dog and I were not 'on Duty'!)


No comments: