Thursday 6 December 2012

Update

"We're back at work I'm pleased to say - though it all seems a bit odd cos there are often big gaps between the days out and the days off. She Who Must be Obeyed tried to explain to me why we are not seeing some of our old friends so regularly but it don't make much sense to me. I just go where she takes me and get on with the job - I'm not too fussed about who else is there really. I had a little lump taken off my leg before we started work again and it gets sore every time we go out: She worries but it don't bother me - it's not like it stops me running or anything. Humans just fuss too much.
Waiting for the 'off''

She put a bandage round it for the first few working days but that didn't really work cos the brambles and bushes kept pulling it off, so now we don't bother any more.
We have one or two little disagreements out in the field; this is my fifth season and I know my job inside out but She will keep insisting that I do it Her way and, quite honestly, She is not always right. After all, if a bird is shot and I see where it falls the sensible thing is to go and fetch it straightaway whilst I'm on the case - someone (probably me) has only got to back for it otherwise. But She will insist that I leave it till all the banging's stopped. One day even, when I had a clear view of all the chaps shooting, she kept me on my lead; there were birds falling everywhere but she wouldn't let me fetch a single one! How silly. Then yesterday there was an old boy who told her he'd dropped 5 or 6 and would Her Hound (!!!!) be able to find them for him. Well, I tell you, I found two very quickly but there wasn't another bird anywhere but she told me to keep looking. I told her there was nothing there but the old boy insisted so she made me look for long enough to persuade him that he'd better go ask another dog! Some people are so rude!


Meanwhile back at home The Understudy is coming along nicely. I wish he wouldn't keep pulling my ears but apart from that - and the fact I'm not allowed to eat all his food - he's not to bad. Lucky for him he learns quite fast cos Pilot is a bit of a pain and wants to push us around and grumps very seriously if we get in his way. I try and keep out of his line of sight but the little one is still learning that lesson. He got beaten up a couple of times and now he's more wary but every now and then he forgets and rushes into Pilot's space. The Big Boss even re-hurt his very poorly arm - bashed it on the door one morning when he was trying to keep them apart. Set him back a few days that did. She doesn't fuss too much - just puts Jaunty back in his cage and he's back to sleep in no time. Come to think of it, he sleeps a lot. Mind you, when he's awake he makes up for it. He keeps discovering new Favourite Things - like leaping in hay nets or up on to stacks of sacks or doing vertical take-offs from the bales in the barn and running circles round piglets.
Making sure the piglets, not Jaunty, eat their breakfast
I don't think I was as excitable as him when I was young but he does listen - like the other morning when he kept jumping in with the piglets to pinch their food - She told him not to but he didn't really understand what She meant till I showed him. He's learned a couple of other things from me too, like going straight back to Her when She whistles, and sitting down to wait for his dinner. I taught him to leave some food in his bowl as payment for the teacher but She won't let me have it and just puts it up on the table where I can't reach! Really mean that is.  Will have to think of something else...... meanwhile I feel a bit of breakfast coming on so better go...the Bag is out so that means we're off to work again today.....good job we don't have to take the little pupski with us - ------!"

No comments: