Tuesday 14 May 2013

Gunner - the next generation ....

 "I know I shouldn't admit to this because people might think I'm big-headed but I am the apple of Her (being 'She who must be obeyed') eye. Even though - and I must admit to having given Her cause to say this - I may no longer be quite the Bestest Gundog in All the World (having developed the confidence to make an independent assessment of  situations under certain circumstances). Regardless of this, however, I am (and again, I hesitate to say this for fear you might think I am being big-headed) still the Bestest looking Gundog in all the world. Over the years I have grown accustomed to people saying: "Isn't he handsome?" and "Hasn't he got the most beautiful head?" so it must be true. Anyway, put those two things together and it's clear why She (wmbo) has always been keen for these traits to be handed down. Since I first entered the Field, owners of suitable (and possibly a few not quite so fitting) working bitches have asked Her if there was "any possibility" of said bitch and I 'getting it together'. Some potential matches even got her quite excited. But, for various reasons, all came to nothing.
Then came Meggie.
The Meg(a) pups
Three years ago she popped into the frame. The first year we never actually met - her 'seasons' coinciding either with her people's holidays or the shooting season! Last year we met and, joy of joys, 'did the deed'. All the people got jolly excited and put dates in their diaries and She Who must be Obeyed started thinking of names and strategies and the future and goodness knows what else. And what happened? Yep - you guessed. Nothin... Meg was just practisin - she had a trial run phantom pregnancy! Well, I suppose you can't blame her - lots of stuff for her to sort out in her mind before committin to being a mum..... But clearly she was not downhearted about it (unlike the Humans). This spring the call came again: "Meg's in season: can we bring her round to Gunner???" and She (wmbo) - trying not to sound too excited  - said "Yes". So round here Meggie came - quite often really since humans are stooopid about gettin the dates right. Me n Meggie got to know each other pretty well - and what a flirt and bossy boots she is too! Eventually, just when everyone (but humans are really stooopid about these things, havin no sense of smell at all) was about to give up on us, Meg n me persuaded them that "today was the day" - and it was! And we done the deed. And (can you believe how excitin it was?) she had to come back again....... Talk about all your Best Days comin at once!!!
 "Now look what you landed me with!"
Anyway, here we are 63 days and three weeks later and the 6 Meg(a) pups are alive and well and kicking their little legs about.... Meg maybe not quite so impressed now cos they givin her (and her mum) a hard time!!! But in 4 or 5 weeks' time one of those boys (the one nearest the camera and the one who's one from the end) will be comin to stay. Then we'll show the Understudy a thing or two..... Wahay - me and the boy gonna clean up the show... . Here we come people, Gunner and the next generation....................

No comments: