Monday 17 November 2014

"The proof of the pudding... "

The Bestestgundog waiting for the drive to start..
So - the decision was made: Bugler would start his working life on Wednesday 12 November at Baumber shoot. But "How?" was the question. It was not an easy decision to make. Seven years of setting off to bushbeat with Gunner was not a habit to be broken easily.  He knows from the moment I get up on a shoot day that we are going; watches me make the pack-up (his too) and follows me when I put everything we need in 'the bag' then shadows me whilst I do the jobs that need doing before we leave - leaps into the car as soon as I open the door and settles down peacefully to wait till we 'get there' - when he permits himself a little squeak of anticipation.
As ever, the Big Boss came up with a solution. "If you don't want to upset Gunner and you only want to test Bugler out on a few drives, why not take Gunner for the morning, bring him home at lunch-time and feed him and then take Bugler for the afternoon?"  So sensible. After all, Gunner is used to staying indoors while I exercise the Understudies and perhaps he would accept that a short day's work was nothing out-of-the-ordinary - especially if lunch was served!
Well; the trick worked. Whilst Gunner was preoccupied with his chicken dinner I fetched Bugler and off we went! It was later reported that he slept all afternoon............
Bugler waiting for the first drive on his first 'day'
The shoot I'd chosen for Bugler to start on is a 'small', well run, compact affair with ideal 'cover' and terrain to allow the dog to be seen at all times (assuming he stays on his 'beat' that is!!!). From the moment his feet touched the ground Bugler sensed something different from his normal training run was going on.  For a start, there were other people walking with us. That's never happened before.  He looked at them as if asking why they were there! Trembling with excitement he nonetheless remained totally on command and whistle when the drive was on: OK - he did stretch the distance on  his quartering but only due to the speed he was travelling! He flushed a rabbit and stood back in amazement - giving me time to 'turn' him with the whistle. He flushed the first bird without noticing it was due to his efforts that the pheasant flew out of the cover. Another flush a few moments later and I could almost hear the penny clang! His nose - and his paws - went into overdrive and I had to concentrate really hard on his every move to contain his enthusiasm for the rest of the drive. He climbed back in the beater's wagon with only half the hesitation he showed first time in and settled down spending the journey inquisitively glancing at his fellow travellers.
The next two drives passed in a flash; he didn't put a paw wrong. He's never heard gunshot before and the surprise made him instantly sit down and look at me! I could have kissed him! Such a natural. When I cracked my flag he immediately came to my side and looked at me - another natural reaction. I could not have trained that into him!
Since he was born I'd hoped that the 'son of Gunner' would be a chip off the old block - and last Wednesday afternoon he proved that he is - with bells on!!!!!
"Are we off again?"

"The young dog done good" our 'beat captain' said at the end of the afternoon.
Compliment indeed.
All those hours of training and the sleepless hours of wondering if he'd come good melted away.
Son of a Gunner proved worth the wait......
I drove home quietly elated. The boy slept all the way!




No comments: