Friday 7 August 2015

Medical Update

 Late on Wednesday afternoon David, our vet, rang with results from Gunner's blood tests.

Unfortunately the red cell count is down still further - from 4.0 to 2.7. The numbers don't say much to me but David (our vet) says that's a big drop in just a month. No wonder Gunner is feeling so weak.

He asked the lab to do some extra work to confirm whether or not his red cells are regenerating. If they were we could give him a course of B12 injections, which would help fight the anaemia.
Unfortunately the lab confirmed to the contrary so there's no point giving B12. However, the low count could, apparently, indicate that he's picked up a viral infection. He's now on a 10 day course of antibiotics so hopefully they will help him.
Meanwhile, tho' he looks pale and moves at a steady trot rather than his old running around and bounding self, he still wants to join in whatever is going on.... like this afternoon with #TeamGunner group training. He looks at me most accusingly if I don't include him so I have to give him 'tasks' to do too..... making them close ones so he doesn't have to run too far without giving away that I am deliberately giving him the 'easier' options........
I don't think he's fooled...... he's just humouring me.....

No comments: