Wednesday 27 January 2010

The dog knows.......

For weeks Gunner's been telling me that there's something interesting under the straw stack in the barn and for weeks I've been telling him that there's no way I'm moving umpteen bales of straw just to satisfy his curiosity!

Today I reached the bottom of the stack - and realised what has been attracting his attention! And it's not very nice.
Doesn't matter where you live, you are never very far from a rat: in the country, especially if you have animals, rats are constantly in evidence.
Mostly you only see where they have been - droppings, footprints in the snow, broken feed sacks, holes everywhere........ If you see a live rat scampering about, then you know the population is getting out of control.
Everytime I see a rat, I put down poison.

We always have holes in the feedsacks if we leave them unopened in the feedroom for more than a couple of days. I'd particularly noted that sow rolls were top on the list for attack....


A month or two back when I went out to check the horses at bedtime I caught sight of a rat darting from one corner of the hay barn to another. So I put down some poison.


Today under the pallets which we use to keep the straw off the floor and away from the walls I found something I've never seen before - a fully formed rat nest - see first photo - complete with rat. She'd wound the straw round tightly between the pallets and had interspersed the straw with sow rolls - no need for mum or any little ones to travel too far to eat whilst suckling. And the whole corner (photo 2) was full of yet more sow rolls - probably at least 2 or 3 lbs. There were droppings everywhere but, also, as the third photo shows, a large amount were concentrated in what appears to be a latrine, of which I found two others. A really tidy arrangement. I've never had to consider what a rat's nest would look like but I suppose I thought it would be just a muddy hole underground. This one was quite the 'penthouse'!
And I am really pleased that the rat ate the bait before the babies were born otherwise I might have had a very nasty surprise indeed when I moved the last bale of straw away!
But the dog's nose was right......

No comments: