Saturday 23 January 2010

If you go down to the woods today .....




If Gunner were not The Bestest Gundog in all the World he could very well qualify as The Lincolnshire Poacher's Bestest Friend!

First we had the very tasty coot and waterhen for Christmas....

Then the rotund rabbit caught under the snow which made a very, very nice pie..... Then - just before the Season comes to an end - he totally overwhelms me by catching a hare!

He didn't chase it - because he knows that Gundogs never chase hares. No ... he leapt on it where it was hiding in the dense brambles of the woodland we were beating through this afternoon... And having totally surprised it, he grabbed it and wouldn't let it go..... despite it squeaking and bucking.... and he managed to carry all 8lbs of it to me, 40-50 yds away through yet more dense brambles without dropping it...... What a clever dog. It was obviously still alive when he gave it to me so and I had no hesitation in taking up the offer of one of my male colleages to "carry that for you, shall I" through the remaining acres of extremely thick brambles......

And we got to bring it home at the end of the day.... so tomorrow, for the first time ever, I get to skin and cook a fresh hare................................... Hmmmmm.

Now, that's what I call a real hunting dog......

No comments: