Monday 14 May 2012

Back on duty

 I know we're supposed to be talking about the new piglets but there's plenty of time for them.... this lot here are the 4 week old 'Racecourses' (born on Grand National day) and we've all been getting just a little agitated that they were not brave enough to leave  their Ma's pen. We always reckon to have them out and about from 3 weeks onwards - the humans plan accordingly (shutting doors to places piglets shouldn't go; making sure feed is out of reach; putting up signs to warn passers-by of 'piglets-at-large'). There's a bit of strategic planning in there too - if piglets leave ma and get used to wandering it makes weaning so much simpler they say.
 I've been peering at them through the fence for days, telling them to come on out and play but they wouldn't. So holes had to be made - holes large enough for dumb piglets to see thru; and that didn't work. So Ma put a bowl of feed on the other side of the hole this afternoon - and that certainly worked. In no time at all piglets were EVERYwhere - up with the Big Black Mangal, down by the stables pinching the asparagus She had just picked, round by the hens, in the hay store - honestly, you'd have thought they'd been running about the place for days not just minutes.... and then, bold as brass, 'trot-trot-trot' they went, past the garages and towards the Main House. Well! I can tell you, I had my paws full keeping them in order. They're not quite sure whether I'm friend or leader - one moment they're eyeing me up suspiciously and the next they're nibbling my paws and poking my face....... She tells me to "Sit quiet" but it's as much as I can do to stop from poking back at them. Keeping them in order is no mean paw... and as for when they discovered water.................well, I can tell you, it was almost impossible not to charge them and send them back to their mother...... it's going to be like this for days and days and days and days..... that's my summer break over I suppose. And still everyone just wants to know about the New Lot. Well, let me tell you - even when everyone else is looking at them I shall still have to be here looking after Ginger's unruly brood.... Ah me: Once a working dog, always a working dog.............."

No comments: