Friday 29 June 2012

Competitions aren't my thing

 "I am a fearless, hard driving working dog but when it comes to competitions - all those people standing around and watching - I get all discombobulated and shy. (Here I am with a team mate - so-called - he pinched one of my retrieves before I had a chance to notice so I got marked down!). I can do anything and find anything but with all those people looking and the tension they create I just crawl inside myself and go into 'safe' mode. She tells me what to do and I do it but my mind is distracted by the strangers; it makes me think long and hard and that makes me go slow (and just a little bit deaf).
 So there we were last Sunday with a load of smart labradors trying to show us up ... and they did. Me and my spaniel friends were jolly good but we don't think and work like labradors -they seem to be single minded whereas we look around for other opportunities..... and one of my spaniel mates flushed a pheasant that had been sitting there  (in the bushes next to the pond in this photo - though you can't see the pond) throughout the whole morning and none of the labs had noticed it and he didn't even get extra marks for it.
Anyway, I don't mind. I go where she says and do what she says. She told me to do all sorts of things in front of these strange people so I did my best. She says that meant I came second of all the spaniels - the labradors were much much better  - but the first spaniel was a professional performer so She was not disappointed.
She'd like me to show everyone what a fast dog working dog I am but I'm not a show off and competitions just ar'n't my thing so I can't. Anyway it doesn't really matter - she said - cos it's only a fun thing and we all know who the best dogs are....... This lady here is receiving the prize for the best performing labrador - and she said she'd been out partying the night before so had to "leave it to the dog" to get on with it. Well there's a lesson then... there's hope for us yet.
Anyway, last year we got the prize for the best dog on a non winning team and the dummy throwing. This year we were upgraded to the A team so the professional spaniel was the best dog on the team and She completely fluffed the dummy throwing. And she didn't even win a raffle prize. So we came away totally empty handed and just a  little deflated (she said). But next year We Will be Bestest of all (cos She says I'm gonna take Speed Bubbles beforehand!!!!!!!) But Competitions ar'n't my thing.....so I'm not so sure...

No comments: