Tuesday 3 July 2012

Mini truffles

 Rosie's here on work experience for a couple of weeks and I told her that it looked like Truffle would farrow on time so there was a good chance she'd see some new piglets before the end of the week. When I looked closely at Truffle yesterday though I couldn't help thinking it was going to be sooner rather than later. So I told Rosie to gather some sticks as she was doing her rounds today because Truffle might well be needing them to make her nest!
It's always strange when a sow doesn't come out of her ark at mealtimes. "Aye Aye" I said to myself when Truffle didn't appear for breakfast this morning. I climbed over the gate, tiptoed quietly
across and peered in through the doorway. Sure enough, there she was with a bunch of little squiglets happily suckling. They were still very tiny and topply wobbly so I'd guess they were born in the early hours of the morning.
Clever girl. She hadn't bothered with a nest, just re-arranged the straw. And the eight little ones - 2 swallowbellies and 6 blondes - were cosy as could be. This second photo was taken at 2pm and already they all look stronger - shortly beforehand one of the blondes had been peering inquisitively out of the door - before tottering back to pile up with its brothers and sisters.
Now.... what are we going to name this lot........????

No comments: