Monday 22 October 2012

Here we go again.....


First day, first drive: how much longer do we have to wait?

Wet and happy waiting for the fourth drive

"We're off again. I'd forgotten all about it for ages but then THE bag came out and the next day off we went - to the fields where the wild birds live again. Oh I wagged my tail so hard it nearly made my nose drop off. This is me before the first 'drive' of the day. It was hard to sit still for so long: but I did: and then she gave me the command - "seek on" and I was away.... busy, busy, busy - so many smells, so many things to explore. 'No; don't make me slow down, you can't tell how many birds there are ahead'. But she insisted on calling me back time and time again. Listen - I know what I'm doing; don't stop me; I'll find them, just let me get on with it. But still she insisted and then I remembered - I'm s'posed to do as she says! So much one forgets in the excitement of the moment....................
Three drives later I'd almost settled down. By then we'd been across miles and She'd crawled through hedges and ditches and was getting tired... we were both bedraggled. 'This is more like it' I thought.

Eventually the sun came out and it got quite warm and I was a bit puffy and my leg-without-the-lump was a little red & sore but I didn't care. This is my thing and I was loving it: I even picked up a few partridge that were lying around.
Suddenly the day ended and I was gloriously wet and muddy - but then I had to get in a weird box in the back of the strange vehicle. Not used to such indignity: where was the comfy back seat and my warm snuggie? Hmmph. Still, I was really too tired to care and when we got home, asked for my dinner and then collapsed in a heap and fell asleep.

waiting for the off
And then, joy of joys, next day we were off again. But this time in my own vehicle and when we got to the yard there were some familiar smelling people around that I hadn't sniffed for ages. And I was off with the wind again - trying to listen to her but oh it is so difficult when the command is given and the smells are everywhere. This was a better day: lots of hedges and thick stuff to hunt through and huge fields to charge across. She was still whistling a lot but she needn't have bothered. I knew what I was doing. On and on the day went. Lots of long drives and lots to flush out. I was here there and everywhere.   We went on and on for ages and it was wonderful - some long waits where all I could do was watch and listen for the command for the off again.    And I did try a bit more to listen to what She was saying - really I did. 

Fourth drive, second day... time to relax
Later on we had to sit and wait around again and I heard some shots going off and then something went 'plonk' in the wood; I looked at Her for instruction but She was too slow. So off  I dashed into the woods. And I found it just where I thought I heard it drop.  She looked very relieved when I gave it to her. It was a big drake,not shot too well so it was extra heavy.  Then a little while later she asked me to go swim in a pond and find another bird. Daisy came to help but each time we got to where the duck was it disappeared in front of our noses. Then it popped up somewhere else so we swam over to get it and it disappeared again. We did that for ages which was good fun but a little tiring. Finally She told me to get out and I looked and saw a Manperson had the duck in his hand. Picked it up from the bank furthest from Daisy and Me. Cheek after we did all the work. Never mind: it was a good game. And now She was happy 'cos I was wet and clean! 
And all too soon it was time to jump back in the car and go home. I'd have gone on for hours more, honest! When are we off again?..... Won't be long.... it's that time of year and I've done all this before..."

relaxing at the end of a hard (2) day's work...


No comments: