Friday 22 March 2013

The study of understudies


 "So here I am, a mature (and some say handsome) workin gundog - with a few other little jobs on the side and, it would seem, I need to pass on some of the wisdom to make the world a better place - or somethin....
So, She who must be obeyed and The Big Boss go off in search of a suitable vessel (vassal?) and come back with this funny little black&white thing who then proceeds to pull all my hangin' bits - and a few that aren't. And I'm wonderin' - how does that get to be an Understudy? I mean, how d'you teach a little thing like that anything that could be remotely useful? Months have gone by since he arrived and I have to admit that he's growin' up pretty smart and learns a lot faster than seems decent sometimes and I begin to wonder if it won't be possible to officially have him on my side?
It's satisfying to see that he looks up to me and tends to take what I say is the way things should be done around here as THE way things SHOULD be done around here.  But there's a lack of structure in his approach to life - I mean he flips around all over the place and picks things up and drops them as if it don't matter and when it comes to givin' stuff to Her - well he picks and chooses a bit. Now; I know that's not right, and She knows that's not right. But what's to be done?
I must be gettin' old.... 'cos why didn't I remember. Him. Of course.  She Must be Obeyed but Him? Well, that's another bag of balls (if you'll pardon my analogy) altogether. Of course. Now it all seems obvious.
In order to turn Gunner into the Gundog we had to spend some "Quality (£££) time" with Him-the-Trainer. Good job She hadn't forgotten that. So, 6 weeks ago it was the would-be-Understudy's turn to visit Him-t-T. And I'm pleased  to say he passed muster; even (though I have to say this behind my paws and very quietly) lighting up Him-t-T's little eyes in a way I never could. Allegedly He even mentioned the F.....T.... words. On Jaunty's first visit - Well, I have to say a chap could get a little - just a little - miffed at that. If one were so inclined, which of course I am emphatically Not.
So away they came - She who etc and the would-be-understudy from that first encounter with Him-t-T full of hope and aspiration. Now, I wouldn't like to have it said that I know anythin' about sour grapes but their 2nd session was an entirely different affair. Why? Well I'll tell you. In the intervening period the little Gem had gone from very good butter-wouldn't-melt into a gonna-be-delinquent with all his own ideas about when to listen and when not to listen and She despaired of ever turning him into anythin' - never mind anthin' that might vaguely resemble a gundog...
So the 2nd session started with Her explaining what was happenin and the would-be-understudy giving a very good demonstration of what she meant!
Well, I was not there so I don't know the detail of what happened in the next hour but those of you who followed my early career from Gunner to Gundog on this very blog (goin back 5 years or so) will have an inklin'. Jaunty said the Man was Awesome and Scary and Serious and gave a whole new meaning to "You will listen to what I tell you to do" - and all that rubbed off on She-who-must-be-obeyed.
And, you know what? That little would-be-delinquent has been the best little gonna-be-Gunner's-understudy ever since........
But will it last? Now there's the question...................... Watch this space....................."

No comments: