Monday 4 March 2013

Welcome to the Ides of March

The Ides of March

Unfazed by the paparazza
To Andromeda & Samson a litter of 9 bouncing piglets......
"She's due tomorrow" said Linda as she left yesterday afternoon. "See you Tuesday" I replied "Have a relaxing day off."

This morning Andromeda came out very promptly for her breakfast but that's not unusual. So I thought no more of it and the Big Boss and I left here around 0830, returning around mid-day. As I went about the chores - which, in view of the warm sunshine and busy twittering of birds everywhere - were a delight for once, I mused to myself that it was an ideal day to bring piglets into the world.
Gunner was the first to spot the new arrivals - as I trundled past Andromeda's pen with the muck-cart he made a bee-line for a viewpoint into her ark and then looked back at me very meaningfully. He's invariably right about these things. I stopped what I was doing and went to look. Definitely piglets squiggling inside. Typical sow to have them whilst there was nobody about. And it's amazing just how often they farrow on Linda's day off!
Since Andromeda was keeping them all warm and snug I couldn't really see much at all but when she came out for tea this afternoon she let me have a look at her new family.  "What are we going to call them?" I said to the Big Boss when I came in for tea ...."How about The Ides of March" he said.
So that's it then: Welcome to The Ides of March.

No comments: