Monday 6 June 2011

Death comes in the night....


There are no bad animals in the world - but there are some with bad habits. The fox is one of those.
This was the scene that greeted me this morning when I went to open up one of the chicken houses: unfortunately it was where the Lincolnshire Buffs lived.
The two hens were incubating their eggs and Clarence the Cockerel was standing guard.
I somehow forgot to close their pop-hole last night.
All three were gone this morning. Knowing it was my fault did not make me less angry at Mrs Fox even though she clearly has a family to feed since she took all three away.

By a stroke of luck, one Buff hen remains.
For the past few weeks she has been helping a duck incubate her eggs in the house next door and now most of them are hatched, has taken over as their mum.
It must have been horrid for them in the night: it was certainly very quiet this morning.
Note to self to leave no further temptations for the night raiders........

No comments: