Tuesday 14 June 2011

Just another day

We've had two or three days of mostly rain since being declared an official Drought region but, thankfully (we really do prefer warm sunny days) today blue skies and sunshine returned and we've enjoyed a classic British Summer Day.





Ginger's little Deserts haven taken to sleeping on the outward facing side of their ark. They don't sleep for long and probably don't want to disturb Mum when they go off on their Big Adventures.
This was the soothing scene which greeted me when I went out this afternoon to get on with the daily chores. What could be more relaxing?

I'd been out at a Twitter workshop all morning and I found myself half thinking about that and half thinking about the job in hand. Gunner and Waifa were wandering around the yard and Pilot was asleep, as is his habit, in the corner of Rocco's stable.
All was peaceful. Then I heard the familiar 'trottle-trottle-trottle' outside and went to investigate. Sure enough, fed up with R&R, the little Deserts were off on a mission. Finding their path blocked in one direction, they stopped, examined the situation then wheeled about and 'trottle-trottle-trottled' off the opposite way. I went back to my deeds leaving Gunner in charge. Every now and then I noted the sound of many rushing feet but that's business-as-usual at the moment.
A Little while later, I was checking on the vegetable garden when, changing watering priorities on the sprinkler, I was surprised by the sight of the Happy Wanderers trottling towards me, closely followed by Rocco - or maybe he was herding them? Perhaps he's been taking a lesson out of Gunner's Book? Whatever; if you look closely there are only 7 little piglets instead of eight. And there's no sign of Gunner.
Between us, Rocco and I managed to persuade the piglets that they were heading towards a Very Unfriendly Place (we all know how ferociously vegetables can defend themselves against marauders) and the 7 turned and ran in the opposite direction. Still no sign of Gunner though. I came across him a little later by the pile of reclaimed materials up by Mangal's pen. He might have thought he could fool me that he was looking for the missing piglet but, since he flushed one out of the same pile the other day, I suspect he was really on to the scent of a rabbit.
However, I took him at his word and sent him off to collect up the rest of the herd and return them to Mum. By the time he got round to it, they were already making their way home for tea.
"Just another boring day at the office" as Linda is sometimes heard to say...........!

No comments: