Monday 2 April 2012

A dog's life...

 There are days when The Boss and/or She Who Must be Obeyed are away doing 'things that they have to do without dogs'. Then Pilot and I have a good excuse to sleep for hours on end. But I can't pretend I like them. The bestest times are when the humans are home and doing 'things that dogs can easily help with'. Gardening's one of those. Pilot's a mean digger. I should think in the many years he's been here there are not many places around our patch that he's not dug up - either to get Something (rabbits mostly) out of or put Something (shoes, keys, toys, ducks, clothes etc) in. Only this afternoon when the man was doing the mole catching thing Pilot was dragging a smelly something-skin around.           I'm not really a digger;She tells me it's not a proper  
spaniel job. I'm more an observer. Whilst She was potting this afternoon for instance I was observing the pheasants and rabbits  in the field next door;could easily have chased them. But it's not That Time. I do a lot of sniffing too and then I tell Her where to look for hidden treasure: got Her moving a load of sacks and pots and things so I could get at the mouse but She was so slow it'd gone by the time She'd cleared the ground.... in the end She stopped helping me look. Way I see it, I help her hunt in Winter - least she can do is help me in spring. Trouble is most interesting Things like to hide under piles of Stuff and She gets too easily tired of moving Stuff which sort of spoils the game really. But I can't stop my nose sniffing things out. Don't know why it is that when I hunt birds they fly up but when I hunt mice they dig further down. Thank Goodness my main job's finding birds.

No comments: