Saturday 14 April 2012

Ginger's 5 to 10 on

WELL- she didn't disappoint. Ginger delivered her 10th litter on time and according to the signs... Returning home from market this afternoon I went to sneak a peak at her pen and just saw Ginger snoozing quietly and alone. I was a little surprised cos I expected to hear squealing and gruntling sounds. A little while later Linda came along and confirmed: " 4 piglets; 2 red and 2 blonde and all very strong and bouncy". They must have been hidden behind her vast bulk when I was looking.... We exchanged views on the numbers and when they might have been born, agreeing that, in view of the robustness of the 4 it must have been during the night. Surprising since it was the coldest night in weeks. I supposed, when I looked at dawn this morning they were all sound asleep.
Bumping into Linda again a little while later: "It's 5, not 4" she said. The 5th one must have been covered in straw at the first count...... Anyway there are 5 piglets and all are strong and bouncy... ("Just little Springers then?" said Gunner????). I was going to call the 4 Burghley and Barton (1&2) after the markets the Pork Provisioner was at today but since there are 5, and it's Grand National day, we may just name them after racecourses..... Aintree,Southwell, Doncaster,..........

No comments: