Tuesday 24 April 2012

Quack!

So the first duck had one duckling; it lived for 3 days. I found it squished on the 4th. Then the black hen had one black chick. It's still thriving - somewhat noisily. Two days after the black chick hatched a duckling appeared, then another, then another - the mother duck had been sharing the nest box with the hen...and she had seven ducklings when I opened up the Poultry Palace that morning. By the time I'd dealt with all the chickens there were just 6 ducklings; at the end of feeding time there were just 5. Somehow they were getting squished - you can see one flattened in the foreground. So I removed 2 and they are now in a box by the Aga in the kitchen. I gave them a beanbag toy cow which they have adopted as their mother - and go to sleep alongside or under her! Very sweet. As for the Poultry house family - the little black chick continues to thrive but I don't know how many ducklings are still alive. She seems a very erratic mother -  she was defending something this evening when I looked so we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Meanwhile, one of the indoor ducklings escaped from its box by the Aga yesterday and jumped down on to the kitchen floor. The cats were about. The Boss rang me on his mobile: "There's a duckling on the floor and it's waddling to and fro between the two cats; they're bewildered by it. I'll put it back in its box I suppose but then what?"
What the cats were thinking of I can't imagine: give them a little bird in close proximity and it's "Zap"! But the duckling was an unknown - luckily...
"What are they called?" Linda asked this evening. "They won't get names till they've survived a week" I said. Then we'll be needing to look for a new home for them cos they'll not be welcomed back into the  main flock.
Quackies anyone?

No comments: