Friday 5 August 2011

All's well...

It was really hot on Wednesday. There were some thunderstorms but, apart from a few heavy showers, the rain largely missed Fulletby. Lucky for me: I had a shooting lesson in the afternoon - it rained before ....and after, but not during. The shooting went very well.
Yesterday it rained all day. We had our lowest generation (from the solar panels) ever.  The pigs were able to wallow to their hearts' content - 'cept they didn't really want to, it not being exactly hot! After our hack round the lanes, I put the horses out in the field - the reasons for keeping them in during the day (heat and flies) being absent. Mr Ritz promptly walked up to the not-on electric fence, looked at me and then proceeded to walk straight through it (his latest trick - new battery now on the to-buy list). "You don't expect me to stay out here in the rain?" he said - in his way.
Hanna, our latest student-on-work-experience, got splattered in mud when we fed the pigs at tea time.
"Par for the course!" I told her. (She turned up in more workmanlike colours today rather than the creams and whites of yesterday! Learned something then.)
We don't have bad days here, but it did rank as 'not a particularly good day'.
Then when I went out to do evening rounds and shut up the poultry this scene is what greeted me. The photo doesn't do it justice. The whole sky was the most glorious golden pink. How could a person not feel good?
"All's well...." etc then, and I went to sleep thinking it had not been too bad a day at all.......

No comments: