Monday 8 August 2011

The difference with mature mothers..

 Precious is from Ginger and Mangal's first litter, born in November 2007. Her litter, born on the morning of 2nd August, was her 6th. That makes her a pretty mature mother. Maybe explains some things too.
Firstly, the night before giving birth to her piglets, Precious was out and about and asking for her nightly pick of grass as usual. There wasn't any sign of nesting to be seen. Or maybe, since she wasn't due for another week or so, I didn't really look. Being mature, she clearly knew there was no need to rush things. "The night is yet young" she must have thought to herself.
The next morning, therefore, I was taken aback when she didn't come out promptly for breakfast. It took me a few minutes to catch on. But I was still surpised when I peered at the entrance to her ark and saw the distinct outline of piglets.
By the time I'd done the breakfast round, however, she was out and eating heartily from her bowl. Whilst she was otherwise engaged I climbed into her pen and looked in the ark. And counted 8 little wriggly bodies. Some of them still very small and slimey wet.
"AAAhh" I thought "Only just been born."
But as I walked back home for breakfast I was just a little bit disappointed. Up till now, apart from the first litter, she has alternately farrowed 9 or 10 piglets each time.
"Must be her age. She's a mature sow now" I thought to myself and went about the rest of my day.
Before she was going home, Linda checked in.
"Precious and her piglets all doing fine" she said "And I definitely counted 10!" she added chirpily. I smiled and thought: "That's the thing with mature mothers, they get their priorities right.... give birth to some piglets, have a bite to eat to restore some energy and then go back and give birth to the rest.... Clever girl."
That also explained why some of the piglets were so wet and also why, when I looked at Precious eating her breakfast, she still had blood on her posterior.
Two mornings later I was amazed to see four of the just 48-hour-old litter merrily, if somewhat precariously, tottering around the muddy pen. Precious was keeping her snout firmly within sniffing distance to give them support and reassurance.
That's another thing with mature mothers. No molly-coddling. The Kids want to go out and explore? So be it.

Later in the day, I was amazed to see all 10 piglets out and about in the sunshine and quite happy to be away from their mother. Safety in numbers, as ever. Gunner sat beside me looking in at their pen.
"Looks like another bundle of trouble I'll have to sort out" he was probably thinking to himself!
Precious didn't leave them alone for too long though. She turned, counted them all (sows do that: every time they are reunited with their piglets - whether after a short food break, or a longer adventure when the piglets have been out exploring, the mother always counts them) and then urged them back into the ark for their tea.
Which is another thing about mature mothers. No panic. Let the children play then quietly take them home, feed them and put them to bed till it's time for another adventure.
That's the difference with Mature Mothers. They don't worry about a thing. And that means nor do we.


No comments: